The nurse told me to heat ALL deli-meat, lunch meat and hot dogs to steaming. You can put it back in the fridge to serve cold later. You must cook it the one time to kill it. This includes, ham, turkey, bologna..etc..
PERSONAL HEALTH FACT SHEET
What is Listeriosis?
Listeriosis is a serious infection caused by eating food contaminated with bacterium Listeria
monocytogenes. The disease affects primarily pregnant women, newborns, and adults with weakened
How is it spread?
- Listeria bacteria are widely distributed in soil and water, which
can contaminate certain foods including unpasteurized milk,
nonpasteurized soft cheese, deli-style meats, poultry and egg
- The fetus and newborn are highly susceptible to transmission
from an infected pregnant woman causing miscarriage, stillbirth or
serious health problems.
- Elderly and immune-deficient people are also susceptible.
How is it treated?
- Listeriosis can be treated with antibiotics.
- A diagnosis is made when the bacteria is found in blood, spinal
fluid, or amniotic fluid.
How can we prevent Listeriosis?
- Thoroughly cook raw meats.
- Wash raw vegetables thoroughly before eating.
- Thoroughly reheat ready-to-eat foods such as hot dogs and
deli-style meats before eating.
- Avoid soft cheeses, raw milk and smoked fish.
- Observe all package expiration dates.
- Avoid cross-contamination of ready-to-eat food with raw foods.
- Refrigerate perishable foods within 2 hours.
- Wash hands, knives, and cutting boards after handling uncooked
• Symptoms can occur
3-10 days after
• Flu-like symptoms
such as fever, chills,
muscle aches, nausea,
• If the nervous system
is infected there may
be sudden onset of
intense headache, stiff
neck, nausea and
loss of balance,
• Infected pregnant
women may experience
It is for mainly 2+ but on the BMI in the parents menu, go to the
bottom, tools, and click on "See What Your Child Needs" When I signed
Sawyer up I put in his actual birthday and they didn't stop it. Great
site for older kids to play games and learn about nutrition as well.
Tomorrow night I'm going to see Dr. Jim Sears give a lecture on the book.
I was wondering what kind of snacks do you all give your little ones? I know the gerber graduates snacks are "healthyy", but I call them baby junk food. I did buy the graduate dices tonight and I will try them. I guess I am more looking for snacks that include veggies. Any ideas would be very helpful. Thank you Julie
I was hoping to see more chit chat.. If anyone has any questions about toddlers you could post here for others to give their opinions. Thank you all for joining Julie
1. Does your 1+ year old still drink warm milk? Sawyer won't drink it cold and he won't drink chocolate milk.